Sunday, February 28, 2010

inspiration

there are many things i've always wanted to do that i can't.
i can't speak fluent spanish.
i can't play praise music on the guitar or piano.
i can't run far.
i can't wear a size 6.
i can't wear contacts.
i can't go on a vacation, or buy a fancy car, or a new dress.
i can't cook much more than macaroni and cheese.

but, there are many things i can.
for starters, no, i can't write a book, but i can write a blog.
i'm in no shape for a triathalon, but there is nothing in my body that is broken or not working.
i might not get straight A's, but i can think, read, discuss.
i don't stand quiet for very long, but i can turn off the radio when i drive.
i won't stop taking naps, but i can stop beating myself up because i do.

there are many instances where i want a fuller cup, so i miss that my cup is already full enough. but if i only concentrate on what isn't, there is no gratitude for what is.

my inspiration for finally being able to post my first blog in over a month:

AGAINST HESITATION

If you stare at it long enough
the mountain becomes unclimbable.
Tally it up. How much time have you spent
waiting for the soup to cool?
Icicles hang from January gutters
only as long as they can. Fingers pause
above piano keys for the chord
that will not form. Slam them down
I say. Make music of what you can.
Some people stop at the wrong corner
and waste a dozen years hoping
for directions. I can’t be them.
Tell every girl I’ve ever known
I’m coming to break her door down,
that my teeth will clench
the simple flower I only knew
not to give . . . Ah, how long did I stand
beneath the eaves believing the storm
would stop? It never did.

And there is lightning in me still.

~Charles Rafferty

here's to acknowledging, doing, and loving what i can.

k.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Wonderful post Krista,your wisdom, again, has touched me where I need it. Pray your thirst for deeper learning is being quenched. Miss you! We will be in Seattle near May 1, maybe we can treat you all to dinner. Love, the Colbys

:::No Longer Mute said...

Thanks, Julie! Great to hear from you, would love to catch up when you get out here in May - my cell is the same number, give me a call.