Saturday, January 16, 2010

just need to rant...

when it rains, it pours, and not just because i live in seattle. yesterday was one of those days...

i woke up to lucy having a fever with a stomach ache, sore throat, and wrist sprain from falling off the monkey bars. when i got in the car to run to the drugstore for some tylenol, car wouldn't start after we just changed the battery over the weekend. but our van did start. first store didn't have tylenol, thankfully the next store did. took her to the doctor. prognosis: strep throat; prescribed antibiotics. on the way home, the van, which has been giving us considerable acceleration problems, wouldn't go on the highway. i ended up driving on the shoulder until i turned the car off, waited for a break in traffic, turned it back on, then gunned it all the way home only to get a 1/2 block away from the house when lucy couldn't hold it anymore and threw up in the back seat. so...i quickly dropped her off at home with karl and ran to the pharmacy. 1 1/2 hours later, the prescription was finally ready to go - and so was the vomit still in the car. i at last, i barely made it home (had to stop and start car several times to get the gas going and accelerate home). whew.

then, we had someone coming to the house to fix a hole in the roof of our kitchen and later a mechanic to come look at the van. a lot of fixes all in one i have a sore throat and its the weekend. hmph.

the upside is that at every time something negative happened, i tried to find something to be grateful for. i was grateful that we have medical insurance and got lucy to the doctor first thing in the morning. i'm grateful that when one car didn't start - at least the other car did (and bonus, karl got the car to start later by reconnecting the battery). i'm grateful that shauna was home that day, so if we were stranded, we would have had someone to rescue us other than a tow truck or a taxi cab. i was grateful that for a $10 antibiotic, my daughter would be feeling much better. i was supremely grateful that during all of this, karl was staying at home with peter while i took lucy and with both of them while i had to wait at walgreens for the prescription - because they would have had to wait there with me if he was not working from home...and its no fun to wait in a waiting room of a little drug store for 1 1/2 hours when you have a 100 degree fever. i'm also grateful that we live in a rental and didn't have to pay for the roof to get fixed. and in the end, the mechanic said a $30 part is all that is needed to fix the van.

i'm grateful that i could be grateful. and in a few days, i'll be grateful that my sore throat is gone along with the body aches and pains and i can get back to studying for a master's degree - something that only 1% of the entire population of the world has the chance to do.


1 comment:

The Journey Unknown said...

And then you had to top it all off with a trip to the ER last night! Hope you start to feel better today.